Modalità di lettura

FCC Commissioners Face Ethics Complaints for Taking Luxury Gifts From Paramount

A man in a suit and glasses is in focus in the background. In the foreground are two women out of focus.
Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr, rear, attends a hearing with commissioners Anna Gomez, right, and Olivia Trusty. Kent Nishimura/Bloomberg/Getty Images

Two government watchdog groups have demanded investigations into whether Federal Communications Commission members violated ethics requirements by accepting luxury gala tickets from Paramount as the company sought government approval for its $111 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery.

The complaints filed by Democracy Defenders Fund and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington cite a recent ProPublica investigation that detailed how CBS or its parent company, now Paramount, have for years given FCC commissioners tickets to the Kennedy Center honors gala, which the television network sponsors. The commissioners accepted the gifts even as the FCC was reviewing or about to review major Paramount business decisions, including two megamergers.

Commissioner Olivia Trusty’s most recent financial disclosure said Paramount gave her two tickets to the December 2025 honors gala that together were worth more than $12,000. Trusty was one of two commissioners who voted last year to approve Paramount’s merger with another media company, Skydance.

ProPublica’s investigation found FCC members had long enjoyed a night out at the Kennedy Center courtesy of CBS or its parent company. Seven of the 10 commissioners who served since 2016 accepted tickets worth more than $260,000, according to a ProPublica analysis of ethics disclosures.

FCC Chair Brendan Carr’s financial statements show he has reported accepting honors gala tickets from CBS or its parent company eight times since his 2017 appointment to the commission, totaling over $75,000 in gifts.

Carr, who also voted in favor of the Paramount-Skydance merger last year, sat with his wife in a private skybox at the December gala with Paramount CEO David Ellison and other executives from Paramount and CBS. Such seats sold for $125,000 a ticket, according to Kennedy Center guidelines.

Carr disclosed on his latest financial statement that he accepted tickets from Paramount for himself and a guest to the 2025 gala and reception worth $12,390. Carr did not respond to a request from ProPublica to clarify the apparent difference in value between those tickets and the skybox seats. 

The FCC only released Carr’s disclosure late on Friday, more than a month after ProPublica had first requested it. The document says the agency certified it on June 22. 

Federal ethics rules ban employees from taking gifts from any entity that does business with, is regulated by or seeks official action from their agency.

“The federal gift regulations and the gratuities statute exist to ensure that government decisions are made on the merits, free from the influence of private benefits,” the Democracy Defenders Fund said in its complaint. “The public must have confidence that the FCC’s merger review process is not compromised by self-dealing or the appearance of impropriety.”

Carr, Trusty and the FCC did not respond to requests for comment. The agency’s inspector general declined to comment. An FCC spokesperson previously told ProPublica that agency ethics officers have for years cleared commissioners to accept the tickets, finding it consistent with ethics law. And Paramount’s chief of communications said it was a decades-long “CBS practice to invite government officials from both parties” to the Kennedy Center show. Carr last year defended the FCC’s approval of the Paramount merger with Skydance, saying it “advances the public interest.”

The FCC’s review of the Paramount-Warner Bros. merger is one of the final federal hurdles facing a historic consolidation of two of the five largest film studios in Hollywood. The deal would unite Paramount Skydance with Warner Bros., bringing under the control of one company Paramount+ and HBO Max streaming services; CBS and CNN; and scores of other major broadcast channels, cable networks and digital platforms.

Four ethics experts told ProPublica that by accepting the tickets, Trusty and Carr had compromised the FCC’s impartiality and should not take part in any upcoming decision on Paramount’s proposed merger.

The Democracy Defenders Fund — led by Norman Eisen, former ambassador to the Czech Republic and White House ethics czar under President Barack Obama — filed its grievance on Thursday with the federal Office of Government Ethics, the FCC’s inspector general and the FCC’s ethics office.

The group said the investigation should examine whether Carr and Trusty broke rules on accepting gifts or broke criminal laws prohibiting federal officials from accepting illegal gratuities.

Carr and Trusty should be required to repay Paramount the “fair market value” of any improper gifts and the federal ethics agency should refrain from certifying Carr’s annual disclosure report until he can prove that he has complied with ethics laws, Democracy Defenders Fund wrote. Its letter to the FCC and the Office of Government Ethics also requests that Carr be disqualified from further participation in the commission’s decision on the Paramount-Warner Bros. Discovery merger.

The nonprofit organization noted that hours after last year’s honors gala ended, Paramount announced it was launching its hostile takeover bid of Warner Bros. Discovery, a move that would later result in a merger agreement that requires FCC approval. About three months later, Carr publicly endorsed the deal on CNBC, promising swift approval.

“The facts that have been reported raise serious questions about the integrity and impartiality of FCC Chairman Carr in particular matters involving Paramount,” including the attempted merger with Warner Bros. Discovery, the letter said.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the other group that filed a written protest, requested an FCC inspector general probe of the luxury gifts.

“The reported gifts to FCC officials from businesses that are not only subject to agency regulation but presently engaged in billion-dollar mergers and acquisitions that must be approved by the commissioners themselves are extremely concerning threats to the integrity of FCC operations,” the CREW letter stated.

CREW, founded in 2003 as a nonpartisan organization dedicated to government accountability and ethics, is headed by Donald K. Sherman, a former House Ethics Committee attorney and special assistant to President Joseph Biden.

A woman in a blue suit sits at a table with a microphone in front of her. The same woman also appears on a large television screen on the wall behind where she is sitting.
Federal Communications Commission member Olivia Trusty. Jose Luis Magana/AP Images

“Government officials have the power to make decisions that impact huge swaths of the American people,” Sherman said in a statement about the organization’s demand for an inspector general investigation. “With this tremendous power comes a higher ethical standard that apparently wasn’t met. The IG can and must get answers for the public.”

The proposed merger between Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery has drawn a flurry of legal opposition.

California, New York and 10 other states filed a lawsuit seeking to block the merger under federal and state antimonopoly laws. The Writers Guild of America, the Freedom of the Press Foundation and the Public Interest Project filed similar court challenges in recent weeks.

Paramount has recently agreed to pause its merger until the litigation is resolved or until June 1, 2027, whichever comes first.

The post FCC Commissioners Face Ethics Complaints for Taking Luxury Gifts From Paramount appeared first on ProPublica.

  •  

Ridere dell’IA. Corpo a corpo con il sé digitale

  di Paolo Costa   Habitus digitale, rubrica a cura di Italo Testa   Il meccanico che è in noi   L’influente saggio di Henri Bergson sul riso si avvita attorno alla natura equivoca del senso dell’umorismo.[1] Da un lato, la comicità viene presentata nel testo come una delle espressioni più vitali dell’essere umano. Dall’altro …

read more "Ridere dell’IA. Corpo a corpo con il sé digitale"

  •  

Kazakistan. Una medio-piccola potenza rivendica la propria capacità di iniziativa in un ordine internazionale sempre più frammentato

Un gigante dell’uranio nel cuore dell’Eurasia

Il Kazakistan è situato nel cuore dell’Asia Centrale: confina a nord e a ovest con la Russia, a est con la Cina e a sud con Kirghizistan, Uzbekistan e Turkmenistan, mentre a sud-ovest si affaccia sul Mar Caspio. Secondo le stime del Fondo Monetario Internazionale, produce da solo circa il 60% del PIL dell’intera regione. Ricco di risorse naturali, possiede enormi riserve di idrocarburi ed è il primo produttore mondiale di uranio, con circa il 40% dell’estrazione globale.

Con il crollo dell’Unione Sovietica, nel 1991, il Paese ha ereditato il quarto arsenale nucleare al mondo. Ha però scelto di rinunciarvi, sia per l’impossibilità di mantenerlo nel pieno della crisi economica post-sovietica, sia per la volontà di accreditarsi come partner affidabile sulla scena internazionale. Ha così trasferito le testate alla Russia e ceduto l’uranio militare agli Stati Uniti, in un processo avviato già nel 1991 con la chiusura del poligono nucleare di Semipalatinsk.

Nel 1993 ha aderito al Trattato di non proliferazione e nel 1994 è diventato membro dell’AIEA. Nello stesso anno, con l’operazione segreta nota come Project Sapphire, ha ceduto agli Stati Uniti circa 600 chilogrammi di uranio weapons-grade. Negli anni successivi ha avviato la collaborazione con il Nuclear Suppliers Group per il controllo dei materiali sensibili. Oggi, presso l’impianto metallurgico di Ulba a Öskemen, ospita la banca dell’uranio a basso arricchimento dell’AIEA (LEU Bank). Istituita nel 2017 in cooperazione con l’Agenzia e operativa dall’ottobre 2019, custodisce scorte di uranio destinate a usi civili.

La proposta di stoccaggio, oltre a essere coerente con questa lunga tradizione di non proliferazione, mostra come il Paese cerchi di accreditarsi quale mediatore non allineato, promuovendo un’immagine di attore indipendente nell’ordine internazionale.

Una politica estera multivettoriale

Il Kazakistan rappresenta un caso di studio interessante, è l’esempio di una medio-piccola potenza che, in uno scenario globale in evoluzione, ha reinterpretato la propria collocazione internazionale. Attraverso l’hedging – la costruzione di molteplici allineamenti flessibili e di coalizioni issue-based con Paesi affini – attori come Astana si adattano a un ordine mondiale incerto e frammentato. Fin dall’indipendenza, il Kazakistan persegue, infatti, una politica estera multivettoriale: coltiva in maniera bilanciata i rapporti con partner diversi, senza vincolarsi a un unico blocco di alleanze e sfruttando a proprio vantaggio la rivalità tra grandi potenze.

Con la Russia il Kazakistan mantiene una relazione storicamente solida sul piano economico, militare e infrastrutturale: entrambi fanno parte dell’Unione Economica Eurasiatica (EAEU) e dell’Organizzazione del Trattato di Sicurezza Collettiva (CSTO). La dipendenza in ambito di sicurezza è emersa con chiarezza nel gennaio 2022 quando, durante le proteste innescate dall’aumento del prezzo del GPL, Tokayev richiese l’intervento della CSTO per ristabilire l’ordine. Dopo l’invasione dell’Ucraina, Astana ha però mantenuto una posizione prudente, evitando di riconoscere le repubbliche separatiste e le annessioni russe. I legami economici restano forti, sebbene in lieve calo per effetto delle sanzioni e dell’allineamento kazako alle restrizioni occidentali sui beni strategici. Cresce intanto la preoccupazione per la sovranità nazionale e per le minoranze russofone del nord, accompagnata da un rafforzamento del nazionalismo e della lingua kazaka.

L’influenza cinese, in forte espansione, è soprattutto economica. Il commercio bilaterale è cresciuto significativamente negli ultimi anni, con importazioni di materie prime kazake ed esportazioni cinesi di prodotti industriali e di consumo. Grazie alla Belt and Road Initiative il Kazakistan è divenuto un nodo strategico delle rotte eurasiatiche, in particolare per il transito energetico e commerciale: il gasdotto Cina–Asia Centrale ne è l’infrastruttura simbolo. Pechino investe anche in infrastrutture e rinnovabili, ma tra la popolazione resta diffusa la preoccupazione per una possibile dipendenza economica e per l’influenza politica cinese.

Le relazioni con Washington si sviluppano soprattutto nel formato C5+1, incentrato su economia, energia e sicurezza. Gli Stati Uniti mirano a rafforzare la propria presenza in Asia Centrale per diversificare le fonti energetiche e contenere l’influenza di Russia e Cina. In tal senso, il Kazakistan è rilevante per le risorse strategiche – uranio, terre rare, metalli – e per il suo ruolo nella sicurezza energetica globale. La distanza geografica e la concorrenza di altri teatri, dal Mediterraneo Allargato al Medio Oriente, rendono però la regione meno prioritaria per Washington.

Iran: il pragmatismo alla prova

I rapporti con l’Iran sono tradizionalmente improntati al pragmatismo economico. Negli ultimi anni i due Paesi hanno intensificato la cooperazione in commercio, trasporti e logistica, favorita dalla comune appartenenza a diversi forum regionali e dall’interesse kazako ad accedere ai mercati del Golfo e dell’Oceano Indiano attraverso il territorio iraniano. Ancora nel gennaio 2026 Astana e Teheran discutevano l’espansione della cooperazione economica e infrastrutturale.

La relazione non è però priva di limiti. Dopo gli attacchi iraniani che nel corso del conflitto hanno colpito anche i Paesi del Golfo, Tokayev ha inviato messaggi personali ai leader di Arabia Saudita, Emirati Arabi Uniti e Qatar per esprimere piena solidarietà. Nei confronti di Teheran, al contrario, Astana si è limitata a condoglianze ufficiali per via diplomatica. Nell’aprile 2026 il viceministro degli Esteri kazako Arman Issetov ha poi annunciato la sospensione di diversi progetti congiunti con l’Iran – incluse alcune forniture di grano e parte del commercio alimentare – motivandola con l’instabilità e le difficili condizioni interne iraniane.

Il Kazakistan ha, dunque, assunto una posizione di fredda neutralità verso la Repubblica Islamica, per non compromettere la propria credibilità di fronte ai partner occidentali. Il mutato contesto geopolitico ha reso difficile una perfetta equidistanza, senza però intaccare la capacità di iniziativa del Paese.

Una proposta senza seguito, un segnale politico riuscito

A oltre un mese di distanza, la proposta kazaka non ha avuto seguito. Dopo il memorandum d’intesa tra Iran e Stati Uniti, firmato con l’intento di porre fine alle ostilità tra le due potenze, i vertici di Teheran hanno ribadito ufficialmente l’intenzione di diluire l’uranio arricchito in loco. «La nostra posizione è sempre stata che l’unico modo per gestire le scorte di materiale arricchito è diluirlo all’interno dell’Iran», ha dichiarato il ministro degli Esteri iraniano Abbas Araghchi alla televisione nazionale.

Il Kazakistan, in ogni caso, mantiene una posizione di neutralità diplomatica e conserva il ruolo di interlocutore affidabile agli occhi degli Stati Uniti. Al tempo stesso continua a coltivare i rapporti con Teheran, come dimostra il recente incontro tra l’ambasciatore kazako in Iran, Ontalap Onalbayev, e il viceministro degli Esteri iraniano per gli Affari giuridici e internazionali, Kazem Gharibabadi, capo negoziatore del dossier nucleare. Il Paese riafferma così la propria linea di politica estera multivettoriale.

  •  
❌